Thursday, May 1, 2014

First quilt DIY

So May 2nd 2014 will mark 5 years since I lost my father to cancer.  That being said I'm happy to say that I have completed a somewhat quilt or comforter whatever you want to call it constructed of my dad's plaid shirts he use to wear.  The shirts are symbolic because my dad never shopped for clothes. The clothes he owned were probably 20 years old. Ok so maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit lol.  However every shirt he owned, I would see over and over so seeing them makes me think of him.  
   So my hints/tips today would be explaining the quilting/blanket making process.  Of course I didn't come up with it in my head that's why they make pinterest and Google so I will refer to the links I looked to, to make it.    I do however have to finish this blog on my computer at a later time cuz I haven't a clue how to do all the fancy inserting web links and pics in the correct places.  So for now just pics will have to do.  


UPDATE!  So one main website I used for this project was this one -> click me to see


First cut squares you want to sew together.
 


Place them in the order you would like them to look.





Next sew the rows together one row at a time then those columns together.
 

 Lastly, I put the front piece over batting, used basting spray to hold together.  I just sewed a few rows of the front and batting together to hold.  Then I put the back on front side facing front of quilt sewed the edges left a gap big enough for my hand to fit to turn inside out when done and sew shut.
The last thing I did to the quilt was hand sew buttons randomly over the quilt to hold the front, batting, and back piece together. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment