Monday, May 12, 2014

my first DIY t-shirt blanket

Sooooo I know I already have a post similar to this one but this one is a tshirt blanket, however, it is not finished lol.  BUT, I haven't posted anything in a while so I will list my steps for this blanket.  The difference between this one and my other one is this one has different sized squares/rectangles. 

So I googled a bunch of different peoples DIY tshirt quilts and got a feel for how I wanted to do mine.  I already knew what shirts I was using because my husband has an obnoxious obsession with firefighter shirts (which is practically all he wears) and I finally talked him into dwindling his pile down.  So now he can cherish them all with the blanket.


First I got all his shirts and figured out how I wanted to somewhat lay them out for the blanket.
Next was to cut them all out to about the size I wanted them to be. 
 
 




After a rough draft cut job I then recut them to the same width size for each row.  I knew I was going to have three rows so each row would have to be the same width it didn't matter the height for each shirt.  I played around with them to how I wanted it for the final layout.  When googling how others did this, they were all technical on using math and calculating this and that and once again, ain't nobody got time for that lol.  I like to wing everything I do.  Mainly due to not having patience.   I also moved the shirts around as to not to have the same color shirt all in one area although 90% of them were navy blue.


So after sewing each row going down, then sewing the rows together left and right, the main part was done.  I then got the small squares I had for the top and bottom that are in the first pic and figured out how big each needed to be to fit the length of the quilt.  I sowed those together then added them to top and bottom.   So you notice that lonely square chilling at the top?  Ya, that's what happens when you got scraps of fabric everywhere and you rush too fast.  I knew I was missing something when the top row looked so awkwardish. 
 
 
So there I was, seam ripping the whole top row off then each square off of each other OIY.  I then fixed my little screw up and voila the top piece of the blanket is done.

Next, I have to figure out how the hubby wants his blanket finished.  Not sure if he wants batting for the middle or maybe just a back piece to it.  Who knows!  Until then, there it is,  DIY t-shirt blanket.

No comments:

Post a Comment